I also posted below an email that our church sent to all the men who were attending the dance with their daughters. It's pretty incredible!
"5 Tips for a Successful Daddy Daughter Date"
We have two goals for you and your daughters for this event. Our first goal is to give you an opportunity to model for your girls how much God loves your daughters. God calls himself a Father, so the way a dad loves his daughter is a big influence on how that young woman will feel about God for her whole life. Our second goal is to give you an opportunity to model for your daughters how a man of integrity treats a lady on a date. Our daughters won't know how a man on a date should behave unless we show them.
With those two goals in mind, I'd like to offer 5 Tips for a Successful Daddy Daughter Date:
- Pray. Ask God to make this a special night of blessing for both of you. You would want a young man who was taking your daughter out on a date to pray before the date, so modeling starts with this important step.
- Invite her. Don't just assume that she'll join you, ask! Tell her you would be honored if she would join you for dinner and dancing. Buy her a card or write her a note. Make sure she knows how much you want her to come with you.
- Make her feel special. Dress up for your date. Offer to buy her a new dress as well. Go outside and knock on the door to pick her up. Buy her flowers. Open doors for her. Act like the man that you want her to one day marry will treat her. Make her feel how much you cherish her.
- Make it about her. Go to her favorite restaurant before the dance, even if it's not your favorite. Talk about things she's interested in. Listen to the music she likes in the car.
- Put away your phone, and don't look at your watch. You'll hear your phone ring if there is an emergency at home, and no email or tweet is as important as the young lady you are taking on a date. Keep your phone in your pocket. And don't watch the clock. There's no need to rush through the evening. The dance starts at 6pm, but it's designed as a "come and go" dance. Enjoy dinner, and come when you're done. When the two of you have had your fill of dessert and dancing, feel free to head out.
If you follow those five tips, you'll be well on your way to making your daughters know how much you love them, and you'll be giving them a great picture of how much God their heavenly Father loves them.